Why does your child go swimming with the school?
The Department for Education understands the importance of learning to swim – it is the only physical activity which can save your life.
All schools must provide swimming lessons in Key Stage 1 or 2. Swimming is the only statutory sport within the Physical Education programme of study – and in particular, pupils should be taught to:
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water based situations.
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres.
- Use a range of strokes effectively, for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke.
What does my child need for School Swimming Lessons?
- Swim hats are compulsory for all swimming lessons. Hats are available for purchase at the reception desk. We do understand that some children have sensory issues which means they will not be able to wear a hat.
- Swimming costumes are to be worn. Please do not attempt to swim in underwear or clothing and also, boys costumes should not extend below the knee.
- Bag to put swimwear in to transport it to and from the school
- No free-flowing clothing to be worn in the pool but proper Rash vest are welcome.
- Towel lockers take 10p piece if needed and hair dryers take 20p.
What School Swimming Lessons does Oaklands Community Pool offer?
The charity has been running School Swimming Lessons for over 7 years with great success. The School scheme differs from our usual Learn to Swim programme as it is designed to achieve the Key Stage 2 Curriculum standard. These standards have been mixed with our own in house Learn to Swim programme adding more skills and stroke variation building a well structured separate award system.
The scheme has 6 Levels as shown below:
Level 1 (Which floatation aids)
- Show safe entry unaided into the water
- Float on front & back
- Swim 5m on front & back
- Blow bubbles
- Wash face
Level 2 (without floatation aids)
- Put face in water
- Swim 5m on front
- Swim 5m on back
- Star float on front & back
- Basic push and glides
- Swim 10m front & back
- Push & glide on front & back arms extended
- Jump in shallow end
- Submerge to pick up an object
- Swim through a hoop
Level 4 (Key Stage 2 standard)
- Swim 25m competently, confidently and proficiently
- Use range of strokes effectively
- 3 different jumps into deep water
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Swim 25m front & back
- Swim 10m breaststroke
- 10 dolphin kick
- Sitting dive
- Perform a forward roll
- 5m head & feet first sculling
- Swim 50m front & back
- Swim 25m breaststroke
- Swim 10m butterfly
- Standing dive
- Straddle jump
- Surface dive to retrieve object from deep end floor
After completing the course of lessons at Oaklands Community Pool, all school pupils receive an award and a discount on new bookings with our Learn to Swim Programme. The discount can be claimed by bringing the certificate with the child’s name on it to reception upon sign up. This is a one off discount on new bookings.